With there being so many websites out there specializing in tracking the crypto industry, we can occasionally miss how popular blockchain technologies are on sites that aren’t just crypto-pertinent. One such site that many of us, crypto investors, may have overlooked is meetup.com.
Over the course of this industry’s decade-long history, at least 1.7 million crypto enthusiasts have discovered meetup.com, a well-known, globally-accesible meetup website. Meetup.com allows users to arrange meetings for just about any subject, and as such, the popular webpage is a great place to find like-minded groups of individuals. Hence, it really should not come as a surprise that the website has whipped up a loyal following of crypto fanatics across the globe.
Right now, figures from the webpage indicate that there are 1,749,421 members and 6,270 meetups that are related to the cryptocurrency world.
The top 7 crypto assets with the highest market capitalization have a combined total of over 2.83 million members. This figure is presumably inflated because crypto enthusiasts aren’t just restricted to the events of a single crypto asset, resulting in a figure that doesn’t take overlap into account.
Bitcoin Has Generated Over 1.6 Million Members On Meetup.com
At the top of the pecking order is Bitcoin, with over 1.6 million members involved in BTC-focused groups. These 1.6 million members reportedly attend 5,570 Bitcoin meetups across the world at present. Better still, there are more members following other popular digital currencies such as Ethereum, Ripple, Bitcoin Cash, EOS, Stellar, and Litecoin.
On top of having dedicated groups for cryptocurrencies, the widely regarded social meetup website also has groups listed as; Digital Currency, Virtual Currency, Bitcoin Miners, Cryptography, Money, New Technology, Entrepreneurship, and Smart Contracts.
Another 1.23 Million Members Have Joined Crypto Meetups Other Than Bitcoin
After Bitcoin, by taking the next 6 digital currencies with the highest market caps into consideration, there are another 1.23 million cryptocurrency members that attend a further 4,480 meetups.
Here are the next 6 behind Bitcoin in order of popularity:
- Ethereum is the second most popular virtual currency on meetup.com, with 4,000 events so far and 1.1 million members in its groups. (Market Cap: $20 billion)
- EOS is surprisingly the third most popular of the top 7 most valuable cryptos behind Bitcoin and Ethereum. Currently, 60,000 fans have 179 arranged meetings. (Market Cap: $4.7 billion)
- Litecoin has the fourth highest number of members, with 42,000 participants and 133 planned meetups. (Market Cap: $3.1 billion)
- Bitcoin Cash boasts over 12,000 members and 106 arranged meetups making it the fifth most popular crypto in our list. (Market Cap: $7.7 billion)
- Ripple has only 8,600 members and just 43 events to its name. This is likely to increase when you consider XRP has the potential to go mainstream with its current access to the Japanese financial marketplace only slated to expand over time. Its blockchain app Money Tap is currently earmarked to become an integral part of the country’s banking industry. Since the announcement by CEO of SBI Ripple Asia, Takashi Okita on September 17th, XRP has risen from $0.28 to $0.45 and has peaked to $0.65. (Market Cap: $17 billion)
- Last but not least, Stellar has 7,000 fans involved with 19 meetups showing. This is, in fact, more meetings than Ripple has on its agenda. (Market Cap: $4 billion)
One of the most interesting points to make here is that Meetup.com allows you to narrow down each one of these groups into popularity by country. It is a useful metric to use for investors and traders studying universal trends or looking for the next big blockchain project.
Also, for those that are seeking to meet up with like-minded crypto devotees in their area and expand their knowledge of both crypto assets and blockchain technologies, meetup.com makes short work of being able to search for nearby meetups.
It is certainly worth keeping an eye on this unlikely contender. In the race for market research analysis and constant demand for information, meetup.com serves a purpose and could help some to identify up and coming trends they may otherwise miss.